- First-generation status may actually give an edge in the college admissions process.
- More than thirty percent of freshmen entering college in the United States are first-generation college students
- More than twenty-five percent leave after their first year. That’s four times the average dropout rate of second generation students!
- Have a clear definition of a what is first-generation college student, keeping in mind what the school you’re applying to considers a first generation college student
- Fill out any optional questions looking for additional information in addition to any mandatory essays..share how much attending their college would mean, given that you are a first-generation college student.
- Identify yourself as a first-generation college student and inquire about the type of programs and support the school has for first-generation students.
- First-generation college students need more support – seek resources