Future Foundation of Sacramento, Inc. (Future Sacramento) is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation.
Future Sacramento is more than a scholarship program.
Future Sacramento partners with high achieving, academically talented students from low-income backgrounds to help them realize their dream of becoming the first in their families to graduate from a four-year college or university.
- We provide academic and professional mentorship to student scholars, beginning the summer after their 10th grade year, until they graduate from college.
- We help students apply and receive acceptance to the four-year college or university of their choice.
- We advocate for students to receive all the college financial aid for which they are eligible. We provide scholarships for any remaining need to minimize the amount of loan indebtedness they incur during college.
- We teach students money management and the importance of giving back to their Sacramento-area communities to establish a strong foundation of responsible financial stewardship.
Future Sacramento’s mission and values
- The mission of Future Sacramento is to provide volunteer mentoring and scholarship funding to local financially-qualified students in support of their college education.
- Future Sacramento values are to:
- Incentivize college education for local first-generation college students and their families.
- Break down barriers to higher education and professional careers.
- Meet financial need of local students and their families.
FUTURE Sacramento helps student scholars and their families break the cycle of low educational attainment and removes barriers to accessing professional careers.
Future Sacramento’s impact:
- Since 2010, we have awarded 84 annual scholarships to over 20 local students, providing $485,000 in scholarship awards.
- With only one staff person, Future Sacramento operates thanks to a volunteer Board of Directors, additional volunteers and program supporters.
- Donations stay local – only Sacramento area recipients are eligible.
- Future Sacramento annually provides mentoring to 28 students— 8 in high school, and 20 in college.
- To administer scholarships, we provide extensive financial aid advocacy to increases students' funding resources and extends Future Sacramento scholarships to more students allowing Future Sacramento to be more effective in fully funding students' educations and supporting students with college persistence. With financial aid advocacy, scholarship awardees have accepted approximately $950,000 in financial aid grants and other scholarships.
- Extensive outreach is employed annually to obtain a large applicant pool. Since 2012, Future Sacramento has accepted over 1,400 applications from 10th grade students attending over 35 Sacramento-area high schools, an average of over 300 applicants each year.
Future Sacramento’s history
- Founded in concept in 2002.
- In 2002, the organization incorporated with the state of California.
- In 2003,tax-exempt status was received as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization from the Internal Revenue Service.
- In 2005, Grant Napear began hosting the "Fairway to the Future" golf tournament, he has serves as an honorary board member.
- In 2006, the organization took the name of the "FUTURE Foundation of Sacramento."
- In 2007, the first group of students were accepted into the College Program.
- In 2008, the first Fabulous 500 Gala was held at the Willis (formerly Eddie Murphy) Estate.
- In 2010, the first class of four students entered college as first year freshman.
- In 2011, 6 financially-qualified students received college funding.
- In 2012, 10 financially-qualified students received college funding.
- In 2013, 16 financially-qualified students received college funding.
- In 2014, 20 financially-qualified students received college funding AND the first recipient graduated from college!